2008-05-10

Upchurch



Universal LP reissue of 1969 Cadet LP, ripped @ 320. Barely in print, if at all. The LP I bought looks like a bootleg.

Arranged, conducted and produced by Charles Stepney. The first track must be the original version of what later became Rotary Connection's I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun (on which Upchurch played with colossal abandon), from the 1971 album Hey Love, available HERE, courtesy of NIKOS - khaire!

Donny Hathaway, p
Louis Satterfield, b
Morris Jennings, d
Bobby Christian, perc
Dave Chausow's Strings and Horns
The James Mack Singers

01. Black Gold
02. America
03. As You Said
04. You Wouldn't You Couldn't Be True
05. Crosstown Traffic
06. Adam & Charlene
07. Spinning Wheel
08. Voodoo Chile
09. More & More
10. Midnite Chile

Recorded at Ter Mar Studios, Chicago, March, 1969.

LINK

In harmony,
Chris

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard!!! I'll add you to my blogroll immediately.

Peace and blessings.

Anonymous said...

...just so you know, I am finding this to be a rather outstanding selection. Thank you for the share!

BN-B said...

Thanks, Vincent, and welcome - it's truly great to see your comments here.

Glad you like this post - it's one of my all-time favorite albums and it's kind of hard to get these days. Hopefully, it'll be remastered (well) and properly reissued sooner than later. Till then, we can hope!

In harmony,
Chris

D.Parker said...

This record is dope!

ish said...

oh wow. i was hoping somebody would post this one. Thanks a lot!

Gianni aka Cesare Barbetta said...

thanks!!!

E-mile said...

Hi Chris, thanks for this gem! Me like :-)
if it's appreciated I will add your freshborn blog to my blogroll?
please visit sometime & let me know
regards, E-mile
PS black rock does rock, hell yeah,
recently bouhgt Free Lancing on LP,
couldn't resist it:-)

http://e-milesaysongsdothematter.blogspot.com/

BN-B said...

You're welcome, everybody, and thanks for the visit and good words! Friendliest bunch of folks in the world.

Like ISH said a little while ago, Charles Stepney could do no wrong. What a genius, right up there with Ellington or anyone else you can name. And Upchurch, I mean, what can you say about the guy except that he's a master!?

More to come from Stepney, as soon as I can. I admire him more than I can say.

Emile, yes, please do add me to your blogroll! I've just added you to mine...

More soon - harmony, always,
Chris

Gianni aka Cesare Barbetta said...

listening and relistening to it again & again: an all-time-genre MASTERPIECE.
a must for top quality music collector.
thanks again!

BN-B said...

You're welcome, Gianni! I've been listening to this album for years and still can't get enough of it.

In harmony,
Chris

ish said...

Have you heard this other one from myjazzworld? Also terrific. http://myjazzworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/phil-upchurch-way-i-feel.html

taro nombei said...

Very nice blog and great posts.
Really pleased to have a chance to hear this.
Best from Tokyo.
TN

sputnik707 said...

thanks, anything by charles stepney is a wonder. Looking forward to this one as I haven't heard it.