2008-05-24

Hmmm...

I'm way late, but a while ago, the 4 Brothers asked:

What song or album changed you or moves you more than the others? **OR** if you can't narrow it down, then try this question instead: What specific song do you want played at your funeral as your "final theme song?"

I think my all-time favorite song has got to be I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun by Rotary Connection. First heard it when my mom bought Hey Love home and popped it on her crappy old KLH. Hopeful, spiritual, defiant, full of love and confidence and solidarity. And Phil Upchurch is just OUT OF HAND. Yeah, definitely my favorite song. I like the Nuyorican Soul version, but, really, it's pretty thin compared to the original.

At my funeral, I want them to play Since You Been Gone. James Brown, Bobby Byrd, Catfish and Bootsy, Clyde Stubblefield and the other guitar player, I can't remember his name. No horns, barely any keyboard, no nothing but the funk, played by the folks who invented the shit. I first heard the edited version on a compilation called Motherlode and it kicked my ass so hard I still feel it, but THE UNEDITED VERSION (click to download) features Bootsy getting so far down into the thing that he misses a key change twice and the groove is so deep, nobody gives a shit. That's what happens when a group of geniuses get together in a room and create.

In harmony,
Chris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have Motherlode but I certainly dig this mix much better. I really like that extra piano flourish... they could have let the tape keep rolling though. Oh well. beggars can't be choosers. Thanks for the post.

Peace and blessings.

BN-B said...

Hi, Vincent -

Yes, the track is a real monster, I can't get over it! Maybe they'll release the whole thing one of these days, without the fade (if it exists). But maybe it fell apart, or something...

cvllos said...

Well,I would choose that Tristano's interpretation on Requien; it seems an homage to Mingus, isn't it?