2008-05-31

The Eddie Fisher Quintet

Hi, folks -

I love this album. Over the years, I've had to sell a lot of my LPs and CDs for various reasons, but I never let go of this one. My copy is pretty wrecked, so I ordered one from DUSTY GROOVES and it arrived on Wednesday afternoon. It's a reasonably clean copy. I'm still searching for that mint copy. I know it's out there...



The Third Cup, Cadet, 1969

Out of print LP. Ripped @ 320.

EDDIE FISHER (1943-2007) came out of Wes Montgomery & Grant Green, but on his Cadet albums there's a spareness, a rawness, a looseness in his playing that just kills me. Same for the whole combo, which includes the not-yet-amazing PAUL JACKSON [BLACK OCTOPUS], a few years before he developed into the tree of life at the center of the Headhunters Band (he plays acoustic on The Shadow Of Your Smile). The whole album is excellent. The title track is one of the high masterpieces of soul-jazz.

1. Scorched Earth (Fisher) 3:06
2. A Dude Called Zeke (Fisher) 3:49
3. Shut Up (Fisher) 7:02
4. The Third Cup (Fisher) 6:07
5. Two By Two (Oliver Lake) 3:20 [abrupt end of fade as is on LP]
6. Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Be-Do-Da-Day (Cosby, May & Wonder) 3:55
7. The Shadow Of Your Smile (Mandel & Webster) 11:57

Eddie Fisher, g
Phil Westmoreland, 2nd g
Bobby Selby, org
Paul Jackson, b
Kenny "Spider Webb" Rice, d

Recorded at Saico Studios, St. Louis, Mo., February, 1969
Produced and engineered by Oliver Sain

LINK

Fisher's second Cadet album, Eddie Fisher & The Next One Hundred Years, is a psychedelic monster. Coming soon!

In harmony,
Chris

15 comments:

johnv said...

I have Eddie Fisher and the Next 100 Years, but not this one. Thanks so much for the share!

ish said...

hey Chris did you see that rock savage blog has come back with some more Soulful Strings albums?

mondodave said...

How can I never have heard of this dude? Definitely has his own style, which is so rare in the world. I'm digging it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words and praise for my father's music. As a father he was just as creative and inventive as he was on his recordings. We know he was ahead of his time and hope his legacy lives on. Thanks for helping us keep my dad's music alive.

Check out my You Tube page. My dad's music is featured.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=StreetSmartVideo


Steven

Andy said...

Excellent stuff,thanks a lot.Will feature some tracks on my show soon.

Unknown said...

That was really great to have the chance grabbing it. I was looking for this album since 1971, but never found it. Nobody knows Eddie Fisher in Germany. Finally I got it!!!!!!!
Amazing. One of my fav of all the time.
All the best
Klaus

Collectionist said...

thanks for the post. looking forward to hearing a "new" guitarist!

alphabet said...

I just discovered your blog, and its awesome!! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

So excited for Eddie Fisher and The Next 100 Years to be posted!

filemuncher said...

Cheers mate!

more cadet stuff here

http://themonkisback.blogspot.com/2009/11/brother-jack-mcduff-fourth-dimension.html

the title track`s a classic

ryanb said...

Just hearing this for the first time, that opening guitar is UNREAL! thank you SOOOO much for this!!!

Anonymous said...

are you like bingo.
please goto !
i like bingo.
and you ?
Bingowinning lottery numbers
You may have noticed larger Euromillions Jackpots that more often, this is due to the recent euro millions changes and the new exciting Tuesday draw. The rollover instead of maxing out on the 11th draw it now has a maximum total amount which is £161 million or there about. “180 million Euros

Ian G said...

Posted a new CD rip of The Next 100 Years here recently. There's also a NEW vinyl reissue of The Third Cup available @ Dusty Groove! Cool!

Kamen said...

There is only one blasphemy, and thatis the refusal to experience joy.
_________________
trav

swedish poker tips and strategies

Kamen said...

Too much credit is given to the end result. The true lesson is in the struggle that takes place between the dream and reality. That struggle is a thing called life!
______________________
black jack

bingo chat games