2008-05-09

Now It's My Turn

to give a little back to folks who have made my life so much richer with the gift of music. They are the HEROES you can see to the right (the list will grow). I can't possibly claim to equal their dedication, but I can emulate their generosity. If I can add some happiness and surprise along the way, so much the better!

The first several posts will contain links that have already appeared in the comments boxes of various blogs. I like all kinds of music. All kinds. I don't have a scanner, but will be getting one fairly soon. When I do, I'll be able to provide my own cover and liner-note scans and will make them available retroactively.

I'll try to post more than occasionally, but there will be more silence than music for the foreseeable future. I hope folks will visit, anyway, from time to time.

All links will open a new window (or tab).



Betty Carter, Roulette, 1976
Recorded March 9-10 and June 21-22, 1976.
Out of print LP @ 320.

Her best album, in my opinion, and in any case, it's a monster. This blog's title comes from the joyously defiant first track.

1. Music Maestro, Please/Swing Brother Swing
2. I Was Telling Him About You
3. Wagon Wheels
4. New Blues (You Purr)
5. Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love
6. Making Dreams Come True
7. Open the Door
8. Just Friends/Star Eyes
9. No More Words

John Hicks, piano
Walter Booker, bass
Idris Muhammad, drums

Part 1 | Part 2
Links open new window (or tab).

In harmony,
Chris

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great start, Chris! Good choices...all 4 of the posts! Linked you up immediately! :¬)

/Lafayette

BN-B said...

Thanks, Lafayette! Great to see you guys here - you're all a huge inspiration for me!

In harmony,
Chris

Simon666 said...

hey chrisd, looking good! this is also my favourite Betty Carter album, and also one of the first albums that dragged me across from funk/soul into jazz, years ago .... looking forward to more stuff :)
I've added you to my links.
Listen. if you want to post that 320 rip of Taiguara (that I put on Ish's wants list) on your blog, go for it - it was because of your contribution that I went looking for it - more people need to hear that great album.
Take care,
Simon

BN-B said...

Simon, what an honor...

Thanks for thinking of me as a host for the Taiguara! I'll post it as soon as I can.

I've been over to Never Enough Rhodes and it looks fantastic. The mixes and picks are superb and I'm really looking forward to seeing what treasures you have in store for us.

In harmony,
Chris

Simon666 said...

hey chris,
you were the one who came up with a rip of "Taiguara" that introduced me to the album, so of course you should post the better rip, looking forward to it!
Simon

Burningbluesoul said...

I want to add my thanks and welcome here. This is a killer Betty set, and I've been searcing for a vinyl copy for years. The only copy I have is at 128 kps from the old Soulseek days so this is a REAL treat. Thanks again.

cvllos said...

Dear friend: I do thank you so much for this rarity! I'm also a Betty's admirer. However I found some troubles while hearing it: Mrs Carter voice seems to be far than Hick's piano sound like track 5. There are some cracks but I removed them quickly. This recording deserves it!