2008-05-20

Goddam!



Hi, folks -

Here's an enormous amount of heart, soul and overwhelming talent: all of Nina Simone's albums on Philips (1964-1966), ripped @ 192 from the Four Women box set and retagged. Posted January 2008 at On the Outside Looking In as a New Year's gift.

No extras, unfortunately, but, just like everything is everything, Nina Simone is Nina Simone!



Nina Simone in Concert (1964)
Broadway-Blues-Ballads (1964)
I Put a Spell on You (1965)
Pastel Blues (1965)
Let It All Out (1965)
Wild Is the Wind (1965)
High Priestess of Soul (1966)

My mom and I played these albums over and over when they came out, so my LPs are all completely wrecked, which is why I bought the box set. I couldn't get enough then and I still can't. People say these albums represent Nina Simone at her absolute peak and I guess I agree, but her Bethlehem album (Jazz as Played in an Exclusive Side Street Club, 1958), the Colpix albums (1959-1964) and everything after Philips, hell, Nina on a bad day was better than most folks at their very best, it's all damn good and Nina Simone was one of the great masters.

In harmony,
Chris

3 comments:

ish said...

thanks for these. I grew up on that Bethlehem album...it came out the year I was born and somehow my parents played it non-stop in my early childhood. I've come to love her RCA period the most. The Philips albums have kinda escaped me a bit. Thanks now for the chance to give em a second try.

BN-B said...

Hi, Ish -

You're very welcome!

I was born in '56. My mom was a jazz singer (she finally got up the courage to play gigs when she was in her 50s) and she loved NS, so I have everything. Unfortunately, all the LPs are unplayable, but I cherish them.

I hope you enjoy the albums - for me, they're essential!

In harmony,
Chris

E-mile said...

your mom & you are right, a couple years back I started to buy every CD I could lay my hands on, you know what they say: an hour of Nina a day keeps the doctor away;-)
(make that a week, to be honest, but it doesn't rhyme)
peace, E-mile