2008-05-23

The Time To Be Free Is Now

Hi, folks -

One day, we'll win. I don't know when, maybe not in any of our lifetimes, but love, respect, radical generosity, solidarity and simple human decency must win in the end, or else...

I don't much like labels. I hate stereotypes. We need to learn to live without that nasty shit.

Here's something that transcends all categories and gives a beautiful example of the immense heights people can reach when they come together to create in collective freedom.



Richard Davis - Epistrophy & Now's The Time
Muse LP, 1972


Ripped @ 320 from a fairly clean LP. There's a sealed copy HERE for 50 bucks. THE CD REISSUE has a bonus track: The Highest Mountain (Clifford Jordan). I'm gonna buy it very soon. Normally, I won't post things that are in print (with occasional lapses, as earlier), but this album is so earth-shattering, I have to turn folks on to it and I hope you'll buy the reissue.

1. Epistrophy (Monk) 22:56
2. Now's The Time (Parker) 22:31

Richard Davis, b
Clifford Jordan, ts
Hannibal Marvin Peterson, tp
Joe Bonner, p
Freddie Waits, d

Recorded live at Jazz City, NYC, September 7, 1972.

From the liner notes:

"I liked the idea. There was no discussion about what we were going to play. I picked Monk's tune, just got into it and then everybody joined in. Monk is one of my favorite composers. Epistrophy is from the late 40s so it just shows that good compositions are perennial. I was crazy about that group and that night. Everybody was into everybody else's vibrations. Now's The Time is the be-bop thing. I think Clifford Jordan sets the theme on that one. The idea was just to play sounds and music."
    - Richard Davis

"America can't create our music - or destroy it."
    - Clifford Jordan

"What does it matter the man's age as long as he can lift the weight and bear the pain."
    - Hannibal Marvin Peterson

"I'm constantly striving for inner peace and self-improvement determined by the mere survival of daily living as well as my musical experiences. Hopefully, my truest and most pure feelings are expressed through my work. However, if I have accomplished relating truth and purity to the audience at the best of my ability at any given time, I have but the creator, my family and my fellow artists to thank. This particular album with Richard Davis was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had. There was a consistent joint interchange of music, love and understanding expressed by all the musicians which I felt was dynamic."
    - Freddie Waits

***

I'm not sure how to describe this music, but some folks call it free bop. Another great bassist, Gary Peacock, when asked how he could feel comfortable playing with both Albert Ayler and Bill Evans, said (I paraphrase): "When you have 2,000 standards under your belt, know the music and have your chops together, you can't help but play free." This album says the same thing.

LINK

In harmony,
Chris

15 comments:

Reza said...

excellent album recommended :)

soulbrotha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
soulbrotha said...

Hey Chirs! Whenever I see the words "free jazz" I usually run in the other direction. But I'm gonna peep this on your recommendation! Thanks much.

BN-B said...

jahcisco, reza, soulbrotha, you're very welcome!

E-mile said...

chris, finally had a chance to give it a spin...I was surprised by how MUCH I actually liked it :-)
thank you for a great share!
peace, E-mile

Anonymous said...

thanks so much!

sasha said...

Hey there!! Great share..Would love to hear the alternate track but hey you can't have everything..Anyways great little collection of quotes you've included here as well as some interesting thoughts on bop meeting free jazz..Many thanks.

mattas said...

thank you ...

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much !!!

flageolette said...

Great!!

Many thanks for this!!


Cheers,

Anonymous said...

CAN ANYONE PLEASE POST THE CD REISSUE WITH BONUS TRACK?

Art Simon said...

Wow! Awesome post! Thanks so much!

El Mafufo said...

JUst found your blog - this is rare stuff and much appreciated. Grazieichol

Anonymous said...

this post made me weep

JazzDoIt said...

Flacs

http://jazzallthat.blogspot.com/2009/11/richard-davis-nows-time-1972.html