2008-05-21

Sing Out Of Tune In The Chorus Of The Contented

Hi, folks -

Well, I have a little more time than I thought I would, so I guess I'll be posting more often than expected, which makes me glad.

To go along with the Taiguara, here's another great lost LP from Brasil.



Jards Macalé - JARDS MACALÉ, Phonogram LP

Out of print since 1972. Funk-rock-bossa trio with very minimal overdubs, loose and kind of garage-psych. They obviously had a great time when they recorded this.

Ripped @ 320 from LP-to-CD transfer by my dear friend FRANCISCO FARIA (those are drawings, not photographs!), to whom many thanks e um grande abraço afetuoso.

1. FARINHA DO DESPREZO (Macalé/Capinam)
2. REVENDO AMIGOS (Macalé/Waly Salomão)
3. MAL SECRETO (Macalé/Waly Salomão)
4. 78 ROTAÇÕES (Macalé/Capinam)
5. MOVIMENTO DOS BARCOS (Macalé/Capinam)
6. MEU AMOR ME AGARRA & GEME & TREME & CHORA & MATA (Macalé/Capinam)
7. LET'S PLAY THAT (Macalé/Torquato Neto)
8. FARRAPO HUMANO (Luiz Melodia)
9. A MORTE (Gilberto Gil) - HOTEL DAS ESTRELAS (Macalé/Duda Machado)

Jards Macalé, ag, v
Lanny Gordin, ag, eb
Tuti Moreno, d

I couldn't find much online info about Tuti (or Tutti or Tutty) Moreno, but he's played with almost everybody - one hell of a great drummer, married to the singer, Joyce.

Here's the lyric (and my translation) of what is arguably the most famous song on the album. The lyric echoes, parodies and honors one of the most famous poems by the great Brasilian poet, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, and the title alludes to a composition by Thelonious Monk.

LET’S PLAY THAT
Macalé/Torquato

quando eu nasci
um anjo torto
um anjo solto
um anjo louco
veio ler a minha mão

não era um anjo barroco
era um anjo muito solto
louco, louco, muito doido
com asas de avião

e eis que o anjo me disse
apertando a minha mão
entre um sorriso de dentes:
vai bicho
desafinar o côro dos contentes

     when i was born
     a bent angel
     a loose angel
     a crazy angel
     came to read my palm

     it wasn’t a baroque angel
     it was a really loose angel,
     crazy, crazy, totally wacked
     with airplane wings

     and behold the angel did say unto me
     holding my hand
     with a toothy smile:
     go, dude,
     sing out of tune
     in the chorus of the contented


LINK

In harmony,
Chris

7 comments:

ish said...

thanks Chris!! you're doing great work here.

johnv said...

Hi Chris--It's great to hear that you will be able to post more than you had originally thought.

I'm really digging your blog and look forward to each and every post--your preview list of coming attractions has me salivating!

Anonymous said...

this is a cd transfer? :S

BN-B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BN-B said...

You're welcome, ish!

Thanks, johnv! It looks like I'll be able to post a couple of things every week, maybe more - I hope I can do more... mainly, I hope I continue to surprise and delight!

In harmony,
Chris

BN-B said...

oh... LP transferred to CD.

I was unclear, sorry about that!

Anonymous said...

While I'm here, I'll check out this lovely gem too. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just from the writeup. Again, thanks for the post!